Have you been thinking about studying in Perth, Australia? Studying abroad is a great way to experience the beauty and culture of a whole new country while earning a valuable qualification you can use throughout the rest of your life. Australia welcomes International students all year round, giving them a chance to earn a degree and enjoy the Australian lifestyle with a student visa. A student visa is a temporary visa that allows you to reside in Australia during a specified period of time while you study at an Australian educational institution.

Prospective students who wish to obtain a student visa may not be sure how to start the process. Here are a few of the basic things you’ll need to know to acquire a student visa.



What are the Entry Requirements?

There are a number of entry requirements you must meet.

  • Accepted to study full-time in a registered course at an educational institution in Australia
  • Appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay (proof that you’ve got enough money to stay)
  • Confirmation of Enrolment
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
  • English Language skills
  • Medical Examination
  • Health Insurance (students often apply for Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC)

For full requirements, see information on the Australian Government website:

To be eligible for a student visa, there are a few key criteria you must meet. Australia’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection requires applicants to prove they are a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE). To obtain proof of GTE, You must satisfy us that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily. To assess GTE, DIBP will consider:

  • Your circumstances
  • Your immigration history
  • If you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner
  • Any other relevant matter

Applicants must also have a Confirmation of Enrolment which proves they have been accepted into a course covered by the Commonwealth Register of Institutions of Courses.

Applicants must also prove that they have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily. This is proven by satisfying the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE).

Health Insurance must be obtained and certain health requirements must also be met. Students can show this by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance. Some applicants may be asked to undertake a medical examination or radiological check-up to prove they meet the health requirements for a student visa and undergo a police clearance to show they pass the criminal record check.

How Long can I Stay?

A student visa is issued for the length of time estimated to complete your course, plus a few extra weeks or months depending on the length of your course. It is possible to extend your stay in Australia if you wish to undertake further studies, attend graduation, holiday, work or migrate – as long as you are eligible and do not have a ‘Further Stay Restricted’ condition on your current visa.

Duration of course:

Duration of visa:

Longer than 10 months and finishing at the end of the Australian academic year (November – December):

Your visa will usually be granted to March 15 of the following year.

Longer than 10 months (finishing January – October):

Your visa will usually be granted for two months longer than the duration of your course.

10 months or less:

Your visa will usually be granted for one month longer than the duration of your course.

How Much Will it Cost?

The base application charge for a Student Visa (Subclass 500) is $550AUD – but be aware that the costs of visas can change from time to time. There is a tool available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s website that allows you to estimate the cost of your visa. When considering the costs of a visa, it’s important to remember that a condition of student visas is that the student pays all of their school tuition fees, including any amenities and services fees, in full before they can enter the study program of their choice. Fees will differ depending on the institution and the course chosen. So you will need to be able to cover the costs of both the application for a visa and your course.

What Can I Study?

A student studying in Australia with a student visa can study any course registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses.

Where can I Find out More?

For more help and support with questions about student visas, feel free to give us a call on +61 8 6161 5661.