Australia is an excellent place to visit with its rich culture, pristine sandy beaches and expansive outback – however, if you want to come and experience this country’s national attractions, you will need a travel visa.

Regardless of how long you intend to stay, to visit you require a valid Australian visa to enter the country. Whether you are visiting family, catching up with friends, on business activities* or just looking for a couple weeks holiday away, a travel visa is essential and can be applied for from outside of Australia if you hold a passport from an eligible country. There are a few options available depending on the reason for your visit, all of which can be applied for through the Department of Immigration and Boarder Protection website, or can be lodged on your behalf by a registered migration agent if you require more assistance.

short term travel

Visitor Visa – Subclass 600

This form of Australian visitor visa is for people travelling as a tourist, to see family, on business activities or on tour with a registered travel agent from the Peoples Republic of China. You may be eligible for a visa valid for up to three, six or 12 months. If you have already arrived in Australia you can apply for the Tourist Stream of the visitor visa provided you hold a valid visa without condition 8503 imposed. Only passport holders from eligible countries can apply for this visa from outside of Australia.

Electronic Travel Authority Visa – Subclass 601

This Australian travel visa is for eligible passport holders travelling as tourists or on business activities. This type of visa typically allows you to travel to Australia multiple times within 12 months (unless your passport expires before then) from the visa grant date, for three months at a time. In some circumstances, you are also permitted to study in Australia for up to three months.

eVisitor – Subclass 651

This is a free visa that allows tourists and business visitors to visit Australia multiple times within 12 months from the grant date for up to three months at any one time. To be eligible for an eVisitor travel visa you must apply from outside Australia, and hold a passport from an eligible country.

retirement visa australia

Other forms of travel visas

  • Medical Treatment – Subclass 602

Australia has first-class medical facilities you may wish to travel for treatment at. This visa allows you to attend medical treatment/consultations, organ donations, or a support for a person on this visa.

  • Investor Retirement – Subclass 405

Australia is not only a beautiful place to live, but also a great country to retire in. If you’re set on spending your golden years in the Great Down Under, you may wish to apply for an Investor Retirement travel visa. To be eligible, you must be a self-funded retiree wanting to retire in Australia, or a retiree who wants to spend some of their retirement in Australia.

  • New Zealand Citizens (Subclass 444) & Partners (Subclass 461)

This temporary travel visa is available for New Zealand citizens (or family members of a citizen) and allows visa holders to stay and work in Australia if you remain a NZ citizen.

  • Transit Visas – Subclass 771

If you are planning on taking a short stopover (up to 72 hours) on your way to another country, a transit visa may be necessary. You will need to possess booking confirmation for your next travel destination and meet the standard health and character requirements.

  • Bridging Visas

If you intend to remain in Australia while you are waiting for a decision on another Australian visa application you will likely be issued with a bridging visa.

  • Bridging Visa A (Subclass 010): allows you to stay in Australia after your current visa expires whilst your new visa application is being processed. You won’t’ be able to re-enter the country on this visa if you decided to leave.
  • Bridging Visa B (Subclass 020): Allows you to leave and return to Australia within a specified travel period while your new visa application is being processed.
  • Bridging Visa C (Subclass 030): allows you to stay while your new visa application is being processed. This visa may be granted if you lodge a new visa application without holding a substantive visa. You cannot return to Australia if you leave.

Connect Migration Solutions is a Migration and Education Agency located in WA. Our office in Victoria park is open five days a week 9am to 5pm. Our team of experienced migration agents can assist you with your general visa enquiries or lodging you visa applications. For more information please contact our office by email or on 08 6161 5661.

*Business activities do not include short-term work. They are limited to the following:

  • Making general business or employment enquires
  • Investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing business contracts
  • Acting within official government-to-government visit activities
  • Conferences, trade fairs, seminars (if no payment is made in return for participation)


Cover photo courtesy of