Student Visas


Subclass 500 - Student Visa

This visa allows you to study a registered full-time course in Australia at a recognised educational institution. It also allows for eligible family members to accompany you to Australia.

  • This visa has combined former subclasses 501, 570, 572, 573, and 574.

With this visa you will be eligible to study the following:

  • Primary school course, secondary school course or approved secondary school exchange programme
  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) and non-award courses
    • Courses that lead to a certificate I, II, III or IV, or results in no formal Australian award
    • non-award foundation studies course
  • Higher education or University level
    • Bachelors/Associate degree
    • Masters of coursework
    • Graduation certificate/diploma
    • Higher Education diploma/adv diploma
  • Postgraduate research degree resulting in a Masters degree by research or a Doctoral degree in Australia
  • Students sponsored by AusAID or Defence to study a full-time course of any type in Australia

Subclass 590 - Student Guardian visa

This is a temporary visa for a person who needs to come to Australia to provide care and support for:

  • a student visa holder who is younger than 18 years of age
  • a student visa holder who is older than 18 years of age and who needs such care and support due to exceptional circumstances.

Subclass 407 - Training visa

This visa is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training, observe or participate in research as a visiting academic, or participate in a professional development program. This is not a work visa.
This visa has three streams:

  • Occupational Trainee stream: for people who need structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise.
  • Professional Development stream: for professionals, managers or government officials invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia. The program must have been arranged by an employer outside Australia and usually lasts up to 18 months.
  • Research stream: for professional academics invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution.

Subclass 485 - Temporary Graduate Visa

This visa lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. This visa has two streams:

  • Graduate Work stream – for international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the  Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.
  • Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant’s qualification.