Are you an international student? Have you studied in Australia but are struggling to get your first job? Need to improve your interview skills or looking for experience and knowledge to secure your first role in Australia?
Then the Professional Year could be right for you!
The Professional Year Program is a Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) approved initiative designed to better prepare graduates for the workforce. During a Professional Year Program, students are taught necessary professional skills required for career development through the combination of formal structured learning and workplace experience.
Professional Year Program will:
- Enhance your understanding of Australian workplaces by educating students on the employment market and workplace culture. Example: Write resumes and interview skills
- Teach you how to communicate effectively and professionally in the Australian workplace with colleagues, managers and clients.
- Gain valuable work experience through an internship, engaging in all aspects of work practices within an Australian company. This enable you to begin building your professional network, an advantage for future employment.
Completion of a recognised Professional Year Program will provide the participant 5 bonus points under the General Skilled Migration points test.
The program is available in Accounting, Computer Science (ICT) and Engineering profession:
The Australian Computer Society (ACS) developed a tailored program for international student graduates of Information and Communications Technology courses. The ACS Professional Year Program provides graduates with the skills and training required to start their career in the industry.
The Skilled Migration Internship Program – Accounting (SMIPA) was co-developed by a group of Australian accounting bodies; CPA Australia, the Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA) and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA). The program is designed to provide international graduates from Australian universities the skills and training required for their accounting career.
Engineering Education Australia (EEA) developed the Engineers Australia’s Professional Year Program in Engineering. The program is structured to better equip international engineering graduates from universities across Australia with the training and knowledge they require for a successful engineering career. Graduates will be able to participate in an engineering internship placement to facilitate a pathway from study to employment in Australia.
To be eligible for this program, you must have:
- Completed at least 2 years of tertiary study in a related education program within Australia
- Applied for/hold a subclass 485 Temporary Resident Visa for Skilled Migration or a Bridging Visa A
- Minimum of IELTS 6.0 in all bands
Connect Migration provides the following valuable services to students:
- Expert advice on selecting the right Professional Year Program based on your circumstances and the education provider’s course structure, outcomes and cost
- Best tuition fees guarantee – Find an identical Professional Year Program at a lower price and we will match their price!
- Ongoing support throughout the study period