This visa is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers. It allows you to work in Australia in one of three streams.
- Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream
- Direct Entry (DE) stream
- Labour Agreement (LA) stream
Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream
This stream may be available if your employer wishes to sponsor you for permanent residence.
You may be eligible under this stream if you hold either of the following:
- Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482)– in the medium-term stream unless transitional arrangements apply
- Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)– not granted under labour agreement arrangements or
- related associated Bridging visa
and have worked for your employer full-time in Australia on your TSS and/or subclass 457 visa(s) for at least:
- three out of the previous four years (before the nomination is made) in the same position that they have nominated you for or
- two out of the previous three years before the nomination is made, if transitional arrangements apply because you either held, or were an applicant for, a subclass 457 visa (which was subsequently granted) on 18 April 2017.
Direct Entry (DE) stream
If you do not meet the requirements under the TRT stream (for example, because you have never, or only briefly worked in Australia), this stream may then be available if your employer still wishes to sponsor you for permanent residence.
Labour Agreement (LA) stream
This stream may be available if your employer wishes to sponsor you for permanent residence and has entered into a labour agreement with the Department that provides for a permanent residence pathway
Subclass 187 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187) is for skilled workers who want to work in regional Australia. This visa involves a two-step process, firstly, nomination by an approved Australian employer and then an application under the nominated stream. It is part of the Permanent Employer Sponsored Visa program.
The visa is a permanent resident visa. You can be in or outside Australia when you apply. If you are in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a bridging visa A, B or C.
The visa has three streams:
- The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer (who has lodged a valid nomination with us under the Temporary Residence Transition stream), who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.
- The Direct Entry stream is for:
- People who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream
- people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia
- temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream; or
- The Agreement stream is for people nominated by an employer through a labour agreement.
This visa, referred to as the TSS visa, enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in genuinely skilled workers where they cannot source an appropriately skilled Australian. It facilitates targeted use of overseas workers to address temporary skill shortages, while ensuring that Australian workers get priority. TSS visa holders can work in Australia in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor under one of three streams:
- the Short-Term stream
- the Medium-Term stream
- the Labour Agreement stream.
- two years or
- four years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies.